Yesterday (evening for France timezone) I "went" to Jamstack Conf Virtual https://jamstackconf.com/virtual/
It was almost my first virtual conference, so I was also curious for that. It took place on the https://hopin.to/ platform, which reproduces some of the "physical" aspects of a conference, you can go to the main room, to the second stage, walk around the booths in the expo lounge, walk into a session of questions and answers, use the chat to interact, etc. There's even a networking feature where you are put in contact with some else who's using this networking feature in a video chat (I didn't test that). On the whole the experience is pretty seamless and when the speakers are well equipped (good camera, good microphone, good acoustics in room they are in) it works really well !
I couldn't attend the whole conference, but I still collected a bunch of reading material and stuff to explore. Some of the videos are being published on the Jamstack conf Youtube.
Here are some links of projects and contents I found noteworthy :
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netlify#Jamstack as it's a conference organised by Netlify, I'll let you read their wikipedia page for some context
Migrating to Netlify, One Page At a Time
- https://www.netlify.com/blog/2020/09/30/from-legacy-infrastructure-to-a-lean-and-powerful-stack-with-netlify/ From legacy infrastructure to a lean and powerful stack with Netlify - case study about how to migrate route by route your application from "dynamic" to "static"
- https://docs.netlify.com/routing/redirects/rewrites-proxies/ "magic" _redirect files in netlify, as a feature for the aforementioned case study.
Bringing Remote Sensing and Disaster Relief to the Jamstack
- https://search.earthdata.nasa.gov/ map with dynamic data exploration, uses
- https://react-leaflet.js.org/ used in the previous example 🗺
- https://stacspec.org/ SpatioTemporal Asset Catalogs (Enabling online search and discovery of geospatial assets) - STAC API provides a RESTful endpoint that enables search of STAC Items, specified in OpenAPI, following OGC's WFS 3.
- https://fogg.element84.com/ project led by the people who developped the NASA site above
Performance For All: Understanding A Lighthouse Score
- https://github.com/GoogleChrome/lighthouse Automated auditing, performance metrics, and best practices for the web.
- Web Performance: Integrating Lightouse CI in your Gitlab CI/CD pipeline https://medium.com/weekly-webtips/web-performance-integrating-lightouse-ci-in-your-gitlab-ci-cd-pipeline-129c788591bd
- https://hub.docker.com/r/cypress/browsers browsers in docker used in the previous article
- https://github.com/boyney123/garie lighthouse + prometheus + grafana 📈 📉
APIs for dynamic data and media
- https://cloudinary.com/ cloud service for media assets, theirs APIs : https://cloudinary.com/documentation/cloudinary_references
- https://www.gatsbyjs.com/plugins/gatsby-transformer-cloudinary/ and https://www.gatsbyjs.com/plugins/gatsby-source-cloudinary/
- https://iiif.io/ International Image Interoperability Framework™, didn't seem to be on cloudinary's radar
- https://www.mux.com/ Video, CDN, transcoding & APIs
- https://fauna.com/ "FaunaDB is a global serverless database that rethinks the client-server relationship" - that seems a bold statement, we'll have to look into that. I though, "hey I wonder if Kyle Kingsbury tried to break this database...", and found he has studied it : https://fauna.com/blog/faunadbs-official-jepsen-results
- FQL - The Fauna Query Language https://docs.fauna.com/fauna/current/api/fql/
- https://redwoodjs.com/ Bringing full-stack to the Jamstack
- https://github.com/COVID19Tracking/website COVID Tracking project using static generation technologies
- https://storybook.js.org/ Storybook is an open source tool for developing UI components in isolation for React, Vue, Angular, and more. It makes building stunning UIs organized and efficient.
- https://fieldfusion.io/ application build on top of theses technologies
- https://www.gatsbyjs.com/cloud/docs/incremental-builds/ Incremental Builds in Gatsby Cloud
- https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=GraphQL.vscode-graphql VSCode GraphQL - help debug your GraphQL in your code editor
- https://www.npmjs.com/package/next-on-netlify using https://nextjs.org/ (React inside) on Netlify
- Incremental Static Generation https://vercel.com/blog/nextjs-server-side-rendering-vs-static-generation
- https://parseplatform.org/ open-sourced after Facebook bought it in 2013
- https://www.11ty.dev/ Eleventy is a simpler static site generator.
- 5 Optimizations for Faster Gatsby Builds https://www.netlify.com/blog/2020/06/11/5-optimizations-for-faster-gatsby-builds/
- Enable Gatsby Incremental Builds on Netlify https://www.netlify.com/blog/2020/04/23/enable-gatsby-incremental-builds-on-netlify/
- Open source parallel processing for Gatsby https://dev.to/biilmann/open-source-parallel-processing-for-gatsby-270d
Have fun, I hope some of these links will inspire you to tinker with these approaches and technologies.